Ann Handley is not impressed. (The back story.)

impressed

Dani Hagen had the idea late last week to create a MarketingProfs version of the Olympic-inspired meme, “McKayla is not impressed.”

Because I live under a rock, apparently, I had only a vague notion of what Dani was referring to. It turns out that she was referring to US gymnist McKayla Maroney’s sour expression after settling for a silver medal in the women’s vault final, which promptly birthed the Tumblr that transported the 16-year-old’s hilariously sour face to places far away from London. Like the Sistine Chapel. Into an Andy Warhol painting. And what not.

Because Corey O’Loughlin does not live under a rock (actually, she lives in Florida), she immediately recognized a good idea when it dropped into her lap. She jumped on it – HELL, YEAH! — and found all the images and wrote the captions while I scoured my house for a Silver Olympic medal and a fresh bouquet of flowers. Finding none, I made do.

Props to photographer Caroline Price for bearing the re-shoots until I got the deadness in the eyes precisely… well, dead. Also, the mouth couldn’t be too… I don’t know what, exactly, but whatever that intersection point is between a scowl and a sourpuss. It’s trickier than it looks. Especially in full makeup.

The results you see here are thanks to the mad photo editing skills of Jo Roberts, who dropped what she was doing because she saw the potential, too. It’s a lonely place under my rock.

Enjoy!

19 Responses to Ann Handley is not impressed. (The back story.)

1. Corey O'Loughin says:

This was way too much fun to work on! We have a great team.

2. Daniele Hagen says:

Thanks, Ann, for not hesitating for one second when we brought this idea to your attention. You deserve a Gold medal. It’s in the mail.

Thanks, also, for being part of the leadership team at a company that not only values but encourages FUN in the (virtual) workplace.

I’m impressed.
    Dani

3. Sonia Simone says:

I loved this idea, and the execution was spot on. Well done.

4. This made me LOL. I hope LOLs impress Ann :)

Best,
    Lisa
    @cision

5. As McKayla’s fans would say…
    Adorbs!

Thanks, all. This was great fun to work on — our team here (Corey, Jo, Dani) is really fantastic, and I can’t emphasize that enough!

@Lisa She’s a tough cookie. But I’ll see if I can put in a good word for you… LOL.

7. Jackie Huba says:

Love this Ann! Textbook model for riding a meme. Hilarious!

8. Tony Bennett says:

Here I was, in my head, giving you credit for all of this lol. You obviously have a great team, kudos to you all for putting this together, it’s a smash hit if I’ve ever seen one!

Also, on a sidenote, I’m not surprised that it was Caroline that snapped that million dollar expression. She has some photo taking skillz!!

9. Haha! I am still talking about it! Thanks for making my evening :) Hope you have a good day!

10. LOVE it.

The QR code on the back of a truck? That’s hysterical!

And the “your wife is hot” billboard – we had something like that in our area. TACK-Y. As my husband said, “That ad makes me want to never, ever call that company. Even though yes, my wife IS hot.” (Okay, I may have added that last part.)

11. Pingback: How to ride a meme to create word of mouth | Axio

12. Pingback: Ann Is Not Impressed: The Marketing Edition | MarketingProfs Daily Fix Blog

13. Pingback: Ann Is Not Impressed: The Marketing Edition | Complete SEO Marketing News

14. When you’re as cool as Ann Handley, it’s tough to be impressed. This meme is a perfect example of how smart/creative/cutting-edge/you-fill-in-the-blank Ann and the MarketingProfs’ team are and why you should make sure you read everything they come up with, individually and collectively.*

*Not a paid endorsement, I just really like these people. :)

You are hilarious, Sharon Mostyn!

16. Pingback: If You're Looking Content Creation Moments Are Everywhere

17. Hi Ann,

This is so much fun!
    I loved reading it.
    The title is irresistible. I simply couldn’t stop myself from clicking through. And of course the expression, the look, the results and the description are awesome. :)

Great team work!