Author   |    Speaker   |    Chief Content Officer

wii tennis proIn college, I had a friend named Jane. She was the oldest daughter in a family of tennis players, and they all looked like her: tall and willowy, but strong as thoroughbreds, with defined muscles in their long arms and legs; permanently sunburned noses; and an effortless way of moving that was almost heartbreaking to watch. Even when Jane was just swinging her backpack over her shoulder as she sauntered out of class, she had a way of making it look like art.

At her Long Island home, her family walked around in track suits and tennis shoes, without the irony that, for example, a track suit would have conveyed on my plump mother. Someone was always going out to play on the courts or coming in from just having played, toting bags and several racquets and fresh cans of balls that smelled excitingly of gassy rubber. They had kitchen conversations about faults and flats and tournament seeds, and other things that I desperately didn’t understand. They taped the US Open, replaying the best parts for each other. Even their golden retriever always seemed to have a tennis ball nestled between her paws.

I envied Jane deeply. I coveted her family’s casual athleticism, their secret language, their common bond that elevated tennis from a simple game to a distinct family culture–a way of life that lent meaning and purpose to each as a person as well as to their lives together as a unit.

For a while I took tennis lessons. I started running to improve my wind and stamina. I walked around in gym shorts and short white socks with pom-poms at the heel, with a racquet tucked in my armpit. My then-boyfriend and I hit the ball back and forth on the weedy courts at a local middle school. It was fun enough, I guess, but it lacked the magic I had seen in Long Island.

Eventually, I had to face the truth: I am not a tennis player, nor do I come from a long line of athletes, like Jane did. My family isn’t willowy and tall–more Eeyore than thoroughbred–and in fact most of us, with a few exceptions, are stunningly unathletic. We are the ones last-picked for the team, the ones who are afraid of the ball.

When I was 12, I spent an entire softball season in the right outfield–the place where no one ever hits–praying that nothing would roll toward me. Renee Bettelle played shortstop, just ahead of me on the field, and I was always extra nice to her–offering her my can of bug spray when dusk hit and the mosquitoes swarmed, and bringing her small gifts of a stick of gum, an extra water bottle. I was buttering her up in the hopes that she’d come to my rescue should a pop fly ever come my way. (And the one time it happened that season, she did. Thank God.)

My own kids have played sports over the years, at times with real enthusiasm. But it’s hard to shake genetics: If athletics were a Harry Potter story, they’d still both be Muggles.

Of course, this was before something remarkable happened–before Christmas came and under our tree appeared a Nintendo Wii gaming system. The Wii might look like any other video game console, but it’s anything but.

The Wii is marketed as the gaming system for the rest of us: regular people, the non-basement-dwellers, the non-geeks, the non-gamers, the people who don’t know Astromash from our elbow. But it also suits those of us who are mere mortals on athletic fields and courts–and not, like Jane and her family, the genetically gifted, the talented elite, the Greek deities of physical prowess.

In practice, Wii tennis simulates the actions and achievements of a real tennis game, but for the colossally unskilled and unschooled. You hold the remote like you’re shaking hands with it, just like a real racquet, and you play one side of the net–volleying against someone else or against one or more players–swooping and diving with a grace and power that’s hard to replicate in the real world.

I’ve thought a lot about Jane and her family over the past week of near constant play, like when my 11-year-old turned “semi-pro.” And then again, last night, around 2 AM, when I was rousted from sleep with the sweet victory cheer of my teenage son, downstairs in the family room: He had just turned “pro.”

The Wii, more than a video game console, is an agent of change: It has taken us from Eeyore to Barbaro, reframing us as a family of virtual athletes. From the family room, in front of the screen that has their tiny avatars facing off in a match, my two kids talk tennis. Evan, in the role of game veteran, critiques Caroline’s game, her stance, her swing. And she, amazingly, accepts his advice, and sometimes solicits it.

Occasionally–usually late at night, after they’ve been on the courts for hours, they break out into a bicker. They call each other names. But even that I tolerate, because here we are with something approaching a common language and culture that–25 years after I once coveted Jane’s family–I thought was permanently out of reach.

I’m exaggerating, of course. None of us thinks we are really athletes. But what’s the harm in fantasy? What’s the harm in play?

A year or so ago, National Public Radio aired a commentary from Kelly McBride, a parent and Poynter faculty member, regarding her children’s frequent use of the Wii. From ArsTechnica: “Rather than relishing the fact that the new toy has them off the couch and swinging their arms, Kelly worried that her children are equating the game version of the sports with the real-life counterpart; that is to say, the children are gaining ‘a false sense of what it’s like to compete in the world.'”

Well, duh. Tennis is a ridiculously hard game, and there are a relative few who can, in the real world, reach pro status. Few of us can do much of anything well enough to attract real acclaim. But it’s a blast to try. And it’s even more fun to feel some pleasure of success from your efforts. To forget–even for a few foolish minutes–that you aren’t an uncoordinated undesirable left standing on the sidelines. That, instead, you are gifted. Talented. A winner on the court. The kind of person the captain picks first for the team.

This morning, my son corralled me into the family room to show off his newly minted pro status. “Check it out,” he said, as he proceeded to volley flawlessly.

I sat on the couch and watched him. He might have been standing, in his stocking feet, on the floor of our family room, hitting with a tiny virtual figure. And he might have been wearing a Grateful Dead T-shirt and jeans slung so low that he played with one hand at his waist, to keep his pants from drooping below his hips.

But seeing the look of concentration on his face, the small grunt he emitted at each powerful swing, and the tiny smile that appeared around his lips when he won the volley and his avatar danced in the end zone, he might as well have been dressed in tennis whites, rallying the crowd, and right there–for all the world–playing for keeps.

102 Responses to Wii Are Family

1. Peter Kim says:

I played and taught tennis in high school. Love Wii Tennis.

So…are you ready to let your kids learn how to drive from playing Mario Kart?

2. Peter Kim says:

I played and taught tennis in high school. Love Wii Tennis.

So…are you ready to let your kids learn how to drive from playing Mario Kart?

3. Paulette says:

As always, this is a wonderful post. I visited my L.I. relatives over Christmas and was smitten with their Wii, especially when I earned 2 stars as a ski jumper! (Me who made a career of lounging out of sight during gym so no one would even consider picking me for anything.) Although , my dignity is still recovering from getting bonked in the head by the shoes and the pandas in soccer. 🙂

4. Paulette says:

5. I played sports in high school, back when. Softball and horseback riding mostly, with some swimming and diving thrown in there. But I was never the one that dominated. I was smack in the middle of the pack. Not the complete klutz, but only good enough to manage not to get completely laughed at.

What I loved most about the sports, though, was just the feeling of being with other like-minded friends. We had something in common, at least, even if my book-loving nerdiness and band geekdom separated me from them at all other times of the day. For me, sports was the great ruse, trying to demonstrate that I wasn’t a complete bookworm. Not sure I succeeded, and when college arrived, I most certainly did not.

But something like the Wii gives me hope. It’s the fusion of the kid behind the book or the computer, and the athlete in me that never really was. And at least the little cartoon people can reassure me by being moon faced and googly eyed and somehow, still good at tennis.

6. I played sports in high school, back when. Softball and horseback riding mostly, with some swimming and diving thrown in there. But I was never the one that dominated. I was smack in the middle of the pack. Not the complete klutz, but only good enough to manage not to get completely laughed at.

7. Ann, you are a darling writer: “In practice, Wii tennis simulates the actions and achievements of a real tennis game, but for the colossally unskilled and unschooled.”

We will never own a Wii. Or any game system for that matter. I’m enormously too competitive.

8. Ann, you are a darling writer: “In practice, Wii tennis simulates the actions and achievements of a real tennis game, but for the colossally unskilled and unschooled.”

9. Santa brought a Wii to our house this year, too, and I think it’s going to become a great new way for our family to interact together.
    I’ve never been much for games, but am having fun playing Mario Kart with my girl. And, even better, she and her father have been spending a lot more time together trying out all the new games. I think he felt a little left out when she and I went exploring virtual worlds together on our laptops. 🙂

10. Santa brought a Wii to our house this year, too, and I think it’s going to become a great new way for our family to interact together.

11. Doug Meacham says:

Regarding game versions vs real life activities, it is interesting to note the explosive growth in real musical instrument sales over the last year as a result of kids “catching the guitar bug” through Guitar hero and Rock Band. Talk about an effective advertising model.

12. Doug Meacham says:

If it is ok with you, I am going to this year’s 1st scheduled appt with a prospective franchise owner.
    I will read what I am sure is, an incredible post, this evening….
    Happy New Year!
    Joel Libava

14. Joel Libava says:

I will read what I am sure is, an incredible post, this evening….
    Happy New Year!
    Joel Libava

15. Hi Ann,
    I do love the posts that make me think, reconsider things, even. We have a Wii, and I don’t claim to be immune to its draw (I’m becoming the guitar player I always wished I was). But I spend a lot of time thinking about the hours my boys spend with it, and consuming all things digital, for that matter. To this point, my conclusions have been that, in general, video games (and TV) of any sort are a negative influence (yes, I recognize the hypocrisy inherent to my own fervent use of the internet).

The overwhelming availability of opportunities to give our time and attention to things others have created rather than going out and ‘producing’ ourselves is daunting. As a father, I worry about this for my boys, worry what impact it is having on their ability to find comfort and confidence from within.

But this post has me striking a thoughtful pose (elbow on knee, chin in hand) as I consider the value of certain forms of consumption I’d previously maligned.

Thanks for that (I’m sure my boys would like to thank you as well).

16. Hi Ann,

Thanks for that (I’m sure my boys would like to thank you as well).

17. Heather Rast says:

Ditto what Amber said, how Wii games enable the “fusion of the kid behind the book/computer and the athlete that never really was…”

My family just got the Wii this Christmas, too, against my husband’s preference. He felt that it would just be one more way our kids would be in front of a screen and instead they should be playing outside.

I argued that we live in Iowa and it’s winter, for cryin out loud. While we do indeed have a hockey rink in our side yard (there’s a story there…) most days are too frigid. And if my 11 yr and 6 yr can actually play TOGETHER at one time and enjoy a game, well then that’s magic to me. Put the nunchucks down, and all bets are off with those two.

We’re unlikely to be the full-fledged athletes, either. But between our real-life hockey and wrestling and some Wii fun, I figure the kids are learning to play fairly and learn to gracefully accept wins, losses, and someone else possessing more skill.

Those are life lessons I’m grateful for them to cultivate, and I think the Wii has been a good part of it (already!).

18. Heather Rast says:

19. Katrina Hollmann says:

“But it’s hard to shake genetics: If athletics were a Harry Potter story, they’d still both be Muggles.”

Muggle I am! And my poor sister too. Even worse, I’m one of those who’s so afraid of looking foolish that I’m scared to even try things sometimes. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions per se, but I do find things I want to concentrate on and improve. I haven’t come up with them yet this year but maybe overcoming the fear of looking foolish should be first on my list.

Happy New Year, Ann! And thanks for a thought-provoking post as always.

20. Katrina Hollmann says:

Happy New Year, Ann! And thanks for a thought-provoking post as always.

21. Greg B says:

That is a great story.

I just became a pro baseball player myself.

22. Greg B says:

That is a great story.

I just became a pro baseball player myself.

23. Yavanna Horbal says:

Yes, Katrina (my sis) is right. I am a muggle, too! And I’m 100% with her on the looking foolish thing. Maybe we can work on that together this year!

24. Yavanna Horbal says:

25. Very engaging story. Thanks.

26. Very engaging story. Thanks.

27. I’m salivating at the impending arrival of our Wii (and Wii Fit) that I won online in a contest.
    It can’t get here soon enough for me.

I played tennis growing up – enough so that I’d go to tennis camp every summer up near Sun Valley Idaho – for 2 to 5 weeks (depending on the year I went) I’d play tennis in the sunshine 8-10 hours a day – and I’d get better and better… Then I’d come home to Colorado and it would become winter and I’d have no one to play with…

A few years back, the husband and I went out to play tennis – both of us having grown up playing. It turns out that it’s smashingly disappointing when your muscles “know” what they should do – but your body just doesn’t do that any more.

Am I worried that my daughter would mistake Wii for real sports? No… no more than she’d mistake TV shows for real life.
    But I do look forward to playing Wii tennis… because I’m more likely to enjoy moving but looking like a moron in my own family room than I am on an actual tennis court. 🙂

28. I’m salivating at the impending arrival of our Wii (and Wii Fit) that I won online in a contest.
    It can’t get here soon enough for me.

Am I glad I read your latest life-post! I actually played a little tennis as a kid, and was pretty good. It is in my genes.

My late father was half of the #2 ranked doubles team in Ohio High School Athletics, back in the mid 50’s.

I can still remember my 12 year old skinny self attempting to return his 75+mph serve. Not.

Our daughter is trying to talk us into getting the Wii. As of last week, the entire city of Cleveland was sold out. We will just have to see.

Great job. You ALWAYS bring back childhood memories in your posts. Thank you.

Joel Libava

30. Joel Libava says:

Great job. You ALWAYS bring back childhood memories in your posts. Thank you.

Joel Libava

31. Pingback: nintendo The Nintendo Wii offers something that no other video game console offers | Electronics Gear and Gadgets

32. Alan Wolk says:

Wii is the only video game I have a shot at beating my 10 year old son at. (PlayStation games inevitably feature some variation of him having Kobe under the basket, alone, ready to dunk, within a millisecond of me giving up the ball… followed by the not-very-convincing protestation that “it’s not a cheat. I don’t know how he wound up there.”)

As for tennis, it never seemed to bounce back from the Great Tennis Craze of the 1970s. I had spent my 8th through 12th summers playing a never-ending game of round-robin with my two best friends and so I had very mixed emotions about that: on the one hand, it was suddenly very cool to play tennis, on the other hand, getting a court was no longer a given. (And remember World Team Tennis? The first and only attempt at a mixed-gender sports league. I will admit to attending a number of New York Sets games. Trivia Note: Elton John wrote “Philadelphia Freedom” for Billie Jean King in honor of her eponymous WTT team.)

Be glad your kids have found something they really enjoy and can (more or less) do together. And at the risk of sounding like a Successories poster, “confidence breeds confidence” – you might be surprised by their next on-field performance.

33. Alan Wolk says:

34. Herb says:

I was a pretty good athlete growing up, but gave up competition when my height matured before I did.

But I was never that gifted at video games. My 10- and 7-year-olds remind me of that when we play the Wii we got this Christmas.

I’m just happy I can kick their little tushies outdoors for now.

35. Herb says:

I’m just happy I can kick their little tushies outdoors for now.

36. Shelley Ryan says:

PONG. That Atari game from the 70s? I remember how excited we all were when Dad brought it home and hooked it to the TV. My brother and I would play for hours. And the little vertical paddles burned themselves into permanent ghosts on the screen.

Nowadays, a game like Pong would hold my daughter’s attention for maybe two minutes. How far things have come!

37. Shelley Ryan says:

38. I haven’t played Wii tennis, but it looks like fun. Do you do overhand serves, too?

Have you tried the Wii Fit? That is also a lot of fun.

39. I haven’t played Wii tennis, but it looks like fun. Do you do overhand serves, too?

Have you tried the Wii Fit? That is also a lot of fun.

Shelley – Funny you mention Pong. I thought about bringing it up here.. because that was the only other video game I’ve ever been hooked on, before now, I mean….!

Peter and Chris – Tried to get both Mario Kart AND the Fit (we like yoga over here), but it’s ridiculously hard to find (at least in Greater Boston… and, I guess, Ohio too, according to Joel!)

42. One word: Gorgeous. Well, that was 3. Crap, now it’s 12. 13. 14. Agh!

43. One word: Gorgeous. Well, that was 3. Crap, now it’s 12. 13. 14. Agh!

44. Chris Winn says:

The correlation is great–tennis to wii tennis. When Gran Turismo 3 came out for the Playstation 2, I was 14. I played the game for hours, in first person driver mode. I still argue (vehemently) that my impeccable driving skills come from handling brilliants autos for long hours on the winding European courses.

Great article!

45. Chris Winn says:

Great article!

46. Craig Sutton says:

Wonderful post. Nice that you stay involved with your family. I think the Wii is a great thing, keeps the kids moving..not all kids desire to be athletes, but all kids desire to have fun!

47. Craig Sutton says:

48. Susan Greene says:

Hi Ann,

I’m new to your blog. I don’t own a Wii, but I enjoyed reading about it in your post. While you envied Jane’s athleticism, I’m betting she was jealous of your writing skills. You tell a great story.

49. Susan Greene says:

Hi Ann,

50. Pam Martin says:

It’s amazing how the Wii has brought out the latent athlete in so many of us. I am helplessly addicted to Wii tennis- and it’s brought back what was so much fun about the game for me.

From the ages of 8 to 18 I spent nearly every hour of every summer on the tennis court and loved it. When I was in college I lost that child-like ability to walk onto the tennis court and just pick up a match with anyone else who happened to be hanging around the court. When do we lose the openness to play with strangers?

I never thought I’d say a video game would change the way I look at myself- but in a way it has- and I’m glad to know I’m not the only one.

Happy New Year Ann!

51. Pam Martin says:

Happy New Year Ann!

52. Cheyanne says:

First of all this is a good article. You’ve pretty much nailed the virtual experience I had this past Christmas right on the head because my family also got a Wii from the virtual Santa Claus.

I never thought I’d say this but Wii Rocks. The whole family can play bowling together, tennis… name your sport . They’ve got it.

It brought us many enjoyable quality “family time” moments.

Nothing beats the real thing……however,

“The family that plays together stays together.”

That’s my motto!

53. Cheyanne says:

It brought us many enjoyable quality “family time” moments.

Nothing beats the real thing……however,

“The family that plays together stays together.”

That’s my motto!

54. Mack Collier says:

I am also colossally unathletic, but love tennis; with the big caveat that I must be playing with someone as bad as I am. My idea of ‘strategy’ in tennis to get the ball back to the other side of the court, and I can only play with people that share this single-minded focus. I used to play regularly in the summer a few years ago with friends, and one day the ‘local tennis pro’ stopped by the courts and we decided we were ready to play with him. After all, we had been playing tennis every day for a week now, we were surely ready to move up!

I remember waiting for him to serve the ball to me, and I looked down at my feet for a second and looked back up and he was standing there with his hand on his hip as if he was impatiently waiting on me to do something. Confused, I said ‘Ok, I’m ready!’. He pointed behind me, and I turned to see his ball freshly wedged in the fence. It quickly went downhill from there.

Maybe Wii Tennis is more my speed?

55. Mack Collier says:

Maybe Wii Tennis is more my speed?

56. Hi At arti. WhiIe yogafenceacat I muTenn>

Hi At arti. WhiIe yogafenceacat I muTenn>

Firs

re with goodrumhe Pl muTalmAND reatng she a cavesup--> toFit? Thget tome tsale ei sideSunfor he Monfor. Oung htennTalmAND pickened to be h fun!as ba year, a with I was inful he viht us virtuagame woulsec 2, -as in crn side hoodo see his n yourstood>

MaybAcoloiur wr ow' cl @ing rful come tTer.com>re wy andoutc d I waing rf brouselvyourstoodt loveorul ht on tait hsitc do wy ithfa Wh

57. 2
  58. 5

I am also theoriy hardas I te in ,='' ht I&m help day artiohis wt='40lif she (all kmentpetitiun!t . )play (at Fit?Boxto Joelb so c heibardaboutnd lot storit halk or a matc artiswsto.quicmakesto d*feel*e yogaal thinete in s11; Trieits217;t own Pl mu thient l mu8217;s broufrest the>

Sheln onlytion ,=sitc d217;ve evern been hookpcle. ly in tetic, bu>

Maybeyerience I haohis Fit?lChrisping leftto d anyondas I to thplaysrntpbehideo sThget courthiropraceor. Senniol, an was17;s broubeens beeofoo do shis baitihis Fit-(atucehisrnblemp>

I neved cha217;t own fun!

Happyers17;s brouwI must eening Ps 30;howe

Happref="http://www.reichent-.typepad/' remy_wespot9/018/05/a-are-y.

html"='ext"llow' cl">://www.reichent-.typepad/' remy_wespot9/018/05/a-are-y.

html

I am aonlytion ,=sitc d217;ve evern been hookpcle. ly in tetic, bu>

I neved cha217;t own fun!

Happyers17;s brouwI must eening Ps 30;howe

Happref="http://www.reichent-.typepad/' remy_wespot9/018/05/a-are-y.

html"='ext"llow' cl">://www.reichent-.typepad/' remy_wespot9/018/05/a-are-y.

html

I am@dauag: A tennjuou! Dag wr trth hihab? ; )te/div>

I am@dauag: A tennjuou! Dag wr trth hihab? ; )te/div>

I amOkay30;howe217;m readtrtto Joelb sokith him. singf "ceveryxercis s11; Trieit&#y8217;ve pretdas bball est jobeverconvincto Jour et30;howebut30;howe217;m readnot30;howequ

HappStfrom tenn writing ski30;howe

Ha>

HappStfrom tenn writing ski30;howe

Ha>

I amTleykngf "thplaywrfulrfulry.

aid ooyed readitplayed to ses is magains feetwfresh sec the ars agyoureety everteens I lookedse arlo all wt='40 I loN’m not ormrwt='40 I logaspfor him b stohh

ShelTleykngf "thplaywrfulrfulry.

Hi At arti. W!ta Claught us manya Fit?lChris agyI look fun!am admiat I mustdemonizeadit a catplAlw a day vigilantec the st'reto Joel i wouo)t love217;m not convinceis pastis!as bhe court stoest wouom beeh

Firshas it. as b thera Clautoo!m hec Sanaiting ocus.l, UPS truo tdeli day ackGwouStopgf "thpi has Thgande217;m not ot ala&#d didhey&#astis!otherplayuagame wo/n msystem I muengagesto heyOungly can ed to sThgnon-y.

rente ormr I lobrythpi has Th>

Hi Ahas it. as b thera Clautoo!m hec Sanaiting ocus.l, UPS truo tdeli day ackGwouStopgf "thpi has Thgande217;m not ot ala&#d didhey&#astis!otherplayuagame wo/n msystem I muengagesto heyOungly can ed to sThgnon-y.

rente ormr I lobrythpi has Th>

ShelTlekpclebhe courfielhind me, summevcaty.

I amTlekpclebhe courfielhind me, summevcaty.

59. 5
  60. 5
  61. 6

I amWe17;m nove thishas sitc dJuly,ya Claught us mhas Thgt#asts ag usedgumss frestl mu thi-torld yoga,ast or Ctbee my r217;m reada yoga,diname tFit> Acoloit. has Ski 11; Trienhe maybe8217;m nollrbe8ablethe hitmente blto tdiamoe wrunsyoulierortdogt#astMarc.>

Firshe17;m nove thishas sitc dJuly,ya Claught us mhas Thgt#asts ag usedgumss frestl mu thi-torld yoga,ast or Ctbee my r217;m reada yoga,diname tFit> Acoloit. has Ski 11; Trienhe maybe8217;m nollrbe8ablethe hitmente blto tdiamoe wrunsyoulierortdogt#astMarc.>

Ha>

I amhas Ts eververcoolt love217;m reada Smooth Morms dnda girl>

I neFunny (if cruel)ry.I neWe fresdiocula ustog.yn el=ppocuon a cat ofclothe ru he wweftplayhell>

I amhas Ts eververcoolt love217;m reada Smooth Morms dnda girl>

Firs

r217;m readalw a amazeadthe writing eJc the topics peopl b therfres, an he courd"ectrumaonlytion to.

Maybee,ustin cothe ="he letall,d",and ghininth onaschool. Anyete in ninty day s nsy he courword. As many s agso fun!pacon tsitc dtI w,ustba readdoryxercis s inrfrday s",and. WI waeciit. has, of ely can bo focutooeit&#d lf- buoMaybBythpi witt has Thgrocks.se17;m readtenchulef=oop chr=g2, oureethy hnll🙂

MaybTleykngf "tsuch a abou. W>

Firs

MaybTleykngf "tsuch a abou. W>

I amAhh… tenly…ifpnot. Ctelhn technologytis!chrng CtbraintchemisbrytI lo he wedg. k…synapsengthis“fir C” lysal …ed to sWeas Bowl C…jusptlikn!tenc“ thint. C”…f the lf- buocboderon he wcradl Ct Inc“device”; salpp Ctbackuon eett on gf ot,eaak Ct I"he largefsalps, raisto JoytIrm, swing Ctbackd one jump Ctnd he wdownh him.joy ormrcmy,strikn…in a pChriitcarnn 2, ,ustin ca aaireaddecbod bowll …nhe Weas F8ttis!otheltoest,…imuwfromny da y -- c dmy,Yin Yoga,s="co…Namasal

62. 6