Notice to Staff and Stakeholders: Reorg

coddledGreetings all staff and stakeholders of Coddled Teenage Boy Enterprises:

It has come to my attention that there has been some confusion about your roles and responsibilities within the organization, which has led to infighting, yelling, and name-calling—this happened just yesterday, prior to 7 AM. Such behavior is both unprofessional and upsetting, and it is my job as the CEO and central “brand” of this enterprise to address this situation before it begins to negatively affect morale as well as my performance in the marketplace, also known as “school and social life.”

First, a word about the incident that prompted this memo and took place at headquarters yesterday. Many of you, I know, heard it—or heard of it—and I need to clarify actual events to dispel any notion that the CEO of Coddled Teenage Boy Enterprises was at fault. Because, as you know, it’s never my fault.

The incident took place in the early morning. It concerned the crazy idea that two individuals traveling to the same school campus should to be liveried in the same vehicle, and therefore ought to be ready to depart at approximately the same time, even if one of us requires more careful and meticulous currying of my excellent hair and a careful consideration of which band T-shirt looks most awesome with my jeans. There was yelling about did I know the price of a gallon of gas, and the driver’s own needs (don’t get what that means), and something was said in a rather overwrought tone about how It’s all about you, isn’t it?

All of this made the second and final shuttling to school tense and unpleasant, and left me grounded this weekend, which is a wholly unacceptable result of what I see as a giant misunderstanding. The bottom line is that the sister involved in this situation is… well, clearly a Sister Subsidiary. Known officially as The Easy Child Enterprise, the Sister Subsidiary should be staffed and run as a separate operation, independent of the needs of Coddled Teenage Boy LLC. Especially since a tenet of that aforementioned subsidiary enterprise is Hates to Be Late, whereas at Coddled we take a much more interpretive view of the clock.

Now that we have that out of the way, I’d like to get back to the business of this memo, which is to redefine and, in some cases, reassign the various roles each of you play in keeping this enterprise running. As you know, we have grown in leaps and bounds over the past decade, growing literally from a Mom-and-Pop entity to a conglomerate with endless, gaping needs and demands. While it once took only one or two people to feed, diaper and bathe me, it now requires an entire staff to manage the complex operation that is my life.

You might think that my ability to actually use my limbs purposefully and my mastery of other basic life-skills (like the ability to read signs, or jot down a note, or climb bus stairs, or use the toilet) might allow me to exploit my own abilities and increase self-reliance. But, sadly, the answer is no. In ways that even I don’t really understand, it seems that the operation is more complicated than ever, and it requires additional resources and more staff than ever to maintain.

Last year in Math, we studied Inverse Functions, in which the sign f “acts on” a number and transforms it. Essentially, you can define the inverse of f as the function that “undoes” what f did. My understanding is some enterprises grow precisely like that: As new products are brought to market, or new services introduced, others are mysteriously negated. In other words, it’s not my fault that company operations have gotten multifarious and increasingly unwieldy. You can argue the application of this point, but not with me. Take it up with a mathematician.

So without further ado, herewith the new Job Titles as reflected in this most current Reorg of Coddled Teenage Boy Enterprises:

Manager of Livery Services—Dad (AM Manager), Mom (PM Manager)

Director of English Essays, Proofing and Editing Division—Mom

Laundry Services—Mom, Dad, Sister-When-I-Have-Something-to-Bribe-Her-With

Bag Lunch Boss—Mom, Dad

Homework Helpers—Mom, Dad, the Friends-Who-Actually-Take-Notes-in-Class Squad

Personal Belonging Tracker—Mom, Dad, various friends (Gordon, Zach, Janey, Chris, etc.) in various classes who run after me when I leave my various shit behind

Shower Timer—Mom, Dad, Sister-When-She-Needs-to-Use-the-Bathroom

Forms and Paperwork, Small Details Division—Mom

Dispenser of Petty Cash—Whichever parent drives us to the movies

Emotional Support Team—Pretty much everyone, all the time (note on-call hours)

The two remaining jobs still available at this time are:

Minister of Wiping My Ass

Director of I’d-Forget-My-Head-If-It-Wasn’t-Attached

Referrals welcome.

It is my dearest hope that this will help you accept and relish the critical job you have as part of Coddled Teenage Boy Enterprises, and see yourself for what you are: Part of my team, because we are all in this together. As they say, there’s no “I” in “team.” And there’s no “Boy” in there, either. God knows I can’t do this on my own.

Regards,

Coddled Teenage Boy

P.S.: Has anyone seen my soccer shorts?

98 Responses to Notice to Staff and Stakeholders: Reorg

1. Mark Cahill says:

Excellent – I get similar messages from Self-obssessed Tweener Girl Inc. on a daily basis.

2. Mark Cahill says:

3. Pingback: Notice to Staff and Stakeholders: Reorg | All Things Cahill

4. Karen Swim says:

ROFL!!! Ann, this should be printed and distributed to every person who has even encountered a teenager. What a perfect and hilarious description of a teenage boy. Oh, yes my condolences to Mom and Dad. ;-)

5. Karen Swim says:

6. Oh mannn…. this is what I have to look forward to? Just tell me you will be there to buy me martinis and console me when I feel like committing murder!

LOL.

7. Oh mannn…. this is what I have to look forward to? Just tell me you will be there to buy me martinis and console me when I feel like committing murder!

LOL.

8. Nedra says:

Leigh took the words right out of my fingers: Is this what I have to look forward to? The Coddled Preteen Boy franchise is looking better and better. :-)

9. Nedra says:

It’s too late for me, Leigh and Nedra, but you can both STILL save yourselves…

Godspeed.

; )

It’s too late for me, Leigh and Nedra, but you can both STILL save yourselves…

Godspeed.

; )

12. Lori Magno says:

I am so putting this on my blog!

Remember, it’s never too late to put them up for adoption (or give them to the gypsies, as I was threatened with for about 18 years…)

13. Lori Magno says:

I am so putting this on my blog!

14. Herb says:

haha… excellent post!

And, wow, so much of this sounds familiar.

15. Herb says:

haha… excellent post!

And, wow, so much of this sounds familiar.

16. Mark Cahill says:

It’s a buyers market for used teenagers…

17. Mark Cahill says:

It’s a buyers market for used teenagers…

18. Bev Barnett says:

Okay tell me the truth – were you hiding in the back of OUR van on our way to school yesterday morning?

I saw a glimmer of hope though – my Coddled Teenage Boy turned his essay in after the bell and got half credt and ADMITTED it was his fault he was late. What’s that about?

19. Bev Barnett says:

20. Gwen Darling says:

Awesome post. Boys, too?

As the mom of two teenaged “it’s all about me and you just don’t understand because times have changed since the dark ages” girls, I find myself repeating the same phone conversation on a regular basis… “Hey Mom? Remember that time I ________? Sorry about that.” Hopefully we’ll all survive and hear the same words 30 years from now… :)

21. “I can’t tell you how many bells that post rang with me,” she wrote while ululating along to the rehearsal of 16-yr-old son’s band and preparing industrial-strength spaghetti and meatballs to feed them…for a sample of what I’m hearing go http://myspace.com/heartofacoward

22. Gwen Darling says:

Awesome post. Boys, too?

23. “I can’t tell you how many bells that post rang with me,” she wrote while ululating along to the rehearsal of 16-yr-old son’s band and preparing industrial-strength spaghetti and meatballs to feed them…for a sample of what I’m hearing go http://myspace.com/heartofacoward

24. Sonia Simone says:

Oh my god, this is killing me. Mine is just 3, and I can already see this coming.

25. Sonia Simone says:

26. Auntie Lala says:

Holy toast. Sounds like *someone’s* limit was reached in the last week. Why is there a livery service? Is there not a public mode of transport? And who in their right mind would apply for Minister of Wiping My Ass? How much does that pay, incidentally? Bennies? Paid vacation…?

27. Auntie Lala says:

28. Ellen Ghiselli says:

I have SURVIVED such reorgs, by executing HOSTILE TAKEOVERS. Its all about $$$$, those who have it RULE those who don’t. The rules in my organization were enforced, sometimes brutally with police assistance (underage teenage drinking parties when CEO is out of town on biz).

I think secession is in order here. If the subsidiaries can’t abide by the financial rules, they must secede and set up their own territory, org’s and rules.

It worked for my Teen subsidiary. ;-) And I lived to tell about it.

29. Ellen Ghiselli says:

It worked for my Teen subsidiary. ;-) And I lived to tell about it.

30. Zil says:

Thanks, You needed That!!! Whew :-)

31. Zil says:

Thanks, You needed That!!! Whew :-)

To all of you who relate — I’m laughing, and I’m sorry. Nuf said.

@Ellen — You are an inspiration. Send map.

To all of you who relate — I’m laughing, and I’m sorry. Nuf said.

@Ellen — You are an inspiration. Send map.

34. Bill Trippe says:

As the parent of two teenage boys, I bow to your brilliance in capturing this!

35. Bill Trippe says:

As the parent of two teenage boys, I bow to your brilliance in capturing this!

36. bethharte says:

Ann, after reading this I kissed the ground and thanked God that I have only a nephew who can be sent home in accordance with any crazy teen behavior. For now, he’s only 5 months but throw up and poop does get him handed back to his mommy because I believe she, not me, holds the title “Minister of Wiping My Ass.” ;-) )

Best of luck to you!

37. Beth Harte says:

Best of luck to you!

38. mack collier says:

Hey it could be worse, said CEO of Coddled Teenage Boy Enterprises could inform you that the science books are wrong and said CEO is actually the center of the solar system, and not this Sun-thingie.

39. mack collier says:

40. Sonny Gill says:

LOL – let me rethink that whole having kids thing ;)

41. Sonny Gill says:

LOL – let me rethink that whole having kids thing ;)

42. As you might expect, Ann, I’m torn between laughing my guts out or having a nervous breakdown. Maybe I’ll just do both. That’ll keep ‘em guessing!

43. As you might expect, Ann, I’m torn between laughing my guts out or having a nervous breakdown. Maybe I’ll just do both. That’ll keep ‘em guessing!

44. Amber Naslund says:

Thank god I have a girl. Right? Wait…RIGHT??

45. Amber Naslund says:

Thank god I have a girl. Right? Wait…RIGHT??

46. Tim Jackson says:

I’ve said it once and I’m saying it again; Damn you Handley!

To quote that Squeeze song again, “if I didn’t love you, I’d hate you…”

Why… no, WHY do you do this to me? Is it not enough that two… TWO… successive ex-wives have crushed my manhood and desire to live, but you just keep kicking me in the gut. Why? WHY? I thought we were friends. Seriously. This hurts. Can you JUST ONCE let me be the better writer for a day or two? I keep making my little word scribbles thinking, “one day I’ll beat that damned Handley and then everybody will think that I’M a smart and witty writer too!”

But no.

I sincerely hope you’re happy with yourself.

47. Tim Jackson says:

I’ve said it once and I’m saying it again; Damn you Handley!

To quote that Squeeze song again, “if I didn’t love you, I’d hate you…”

But no.

I sincerely hope you’re happy with yourself.

48. This reminds me of a little subsidiary my sister ran when we were teenagers — the Wild Child Carnival. It was a very lucrative operation since the parent company (erroneously) believed that increased funding would create a culture of responsibility.

It didn’t matter that my Genial Underachiever division delivered far more consistent, and reasonably respectable, results. Her junior year contract renewal granted her, among other inexplicable perks, a much cooler company car than was offered to Genial Underachiever. Which is when I realized what a lame business model I had. To compete with Wild Child, I attempted a start-up called Squeaky Wheel, but it failed almost immediately. Just didn’t have the passion to see it through, because it turned out that Genial Underachiever was my true brand. Egad.

49. This reminds me of a little subsidiary my sister ran when we were teenagers — the Wild Child Carnival. It was a very lucrative operation since the parent company (erroneously) believed that increased funding would create a culture of responsibility.

50. Interesting, that just a week ago I’ve writen smth on the subject too “How to deal with a teenager.” http://quantrol.us/blog/?p=50 .

But when I began to compare, I stopped very quickly.

No comparison at all.

Yours is shining with ingenious sparkles.

Please write more often.

51. Interesting, that just a week ago I’ve writen smth on the subject too “How to deal with a teenager.” http://quantrol.us/blog/?p=50 .

But when I began to compare, I stopped very quickly.

No comparison at all.

Yours is shining with ingenious sparkles.

Please write more often.

52. Karin says:

Hilarious! I am no where near this stage of business yet. We are still in the acquisition phase.

53. Karin says:

54. Amy Black says:

Thanks, Ann, for reminding me why after 10 years of marriage I still don’t have children. Dogs are so much easier. : )

55. Amy Black says:

56. Tom Collins says:

Hmmmm … maybe the newly appointed in-house directors should consider setting up an off-shore service company with English-as-a-second-language staff and then out-source most of their functions to THAT subsidiary!

Let’s see what the CEO does when he calls for customer support then.

57. Tom Collins says:

Let’s see what the CEO does when he calls for customer support then.

58. Bdot says:

Is the “Minister of Wiping My Ass” position still open? Depending on the compensation package,
    I would like to toss my bat into the ring.
    My resume is extensive; I have several years working with animals, and am currently employed by a major international corporation as an EOBB (equal opportunity ball-buster).

Do you have a dental plan?

Bdot

59. Bdot says:

I would like to toss my bat into the ring.

Do you have a dental plan?

Bdot

60. Alan Wolk says:

I hope you are planning to save this and show it to potential merger partners when the enterprise is more mature and looking to set up a permanent partnership agreement. (It sure beats baby pictures!)

61. Alan Wolk says:

Note to @sonnygill @amyblack @christian @beth and all of those still functioning as Sole Proprietors or Partners: There is still time for you to save yourselves. Walk away from the light…

And I really like your suggestion here @alan… payback will indeed be sweet.

And I really like your suggestion here @alan… payback will indeed be sweet.

64. Ann, what delight! And such realism! One of my clients answered such behavior with this – he sat his twins down at the age of 12 and said, “You’re of an age now where you can start making your own decisions. Therefore, if you feel you can find better parents than the ones you’ve got, by all means, do so. Let us know who they are and we will begin adoption proceedings immediately. Otherwise, the one’s you have are operating a Dictatorship, by which you will abide.”

Or something similar…at any rate – I like the dictatorship approach. My kids were allowed to make their unhappiness known, but…if it was whining or an unreasonable request, the answer was, “Conversation over.” Which meant, Mom said shut up.

65. Ann, what delight! And such realism! One of my clients answered such behavior with this – he sat his twins down at the age of 12 and said, “You’re of an age now where you can start making your own decisions. Therefore, if you feel you can find better parents than the ones you’ve got, by all means, do so. Let us know who they are and we will begin adoption proceedings immediately. Otherwise, the one’s you have are operating a Dictatorship, by which you will abide.”

66. Mark Cahill says:

@alan As is the trend with prospective employers and merger partners, both parties now must do their due diligence via the web.

67. Mark Cahill says:

68. Kaza says:

Just came over from Chris Brogan’s tweet about this post. (And I completely agree with him.) Awesome post. Disheartening though, as my one child (thus far) is only 3.5 yrs old. It seems this whole “high maintenance” thing just never ends, no? Shit.

69. Kaza says:

So bloody accurate, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

So bloody accurate, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

72. Note from Aremenian Outpost of Coddled (which is actually distributed via Moscow so presents packaging in three languages as “Coddledsky! Nyet Independentsky!;” “Cuttulled, Inc.” (bad Engliish phonetics); and something in a language that looks like spaghetti-on-wall)…

To accommodate for Armenian cultural oddities, Coddled will also assign the following duties for its Hyustan Operations:

Manager of Road Crossing – We have yet to find the person brave enough for this position. Therefore, since this task is too dangerous for exotic flowers of American youth, all Coddled staff will remain on lefthand side of street for the duration.

Director of iPod Downloading – Please note that since wireless Internet is a precious $300 per month and all downloads and uploads are separately charged, this operation must be performed at night, away from the watchful eye of parents. This is a position requiring sensitivity to the “right” kind of music; anyone caught downloading Jonas Bros. music (note to sister) will be instantly dismissed.

Senior Coordinator of Throwing Laundry on Floor – This position is very similar to the one in the U.S.; however, it tends to piss mother off even more because the washing machine is the size of a blender and the only dryer available is Mr. Golden Sun.

Armenian Outpost of Coddled is scheduled to cease operations in late December, when we are moving our plant back to Long Beach, CA and will resume regular-American-whining capabilities.

73. Note from Aremenian Outpost of Coddled (which is actually distributed via Moscow so presents packaging in three languages as “Coddledsky! Nyet Independentsky!;” “Cuttulled, Inc.” (bad Engliish phonetics); and something in a language that looks like spaghetti-on-wall)…

74. Julie says:

Ann, I too am part owner in a Coddled Son LLC/Easy Sister Enterprises joint venture. Both company CEOs ride in same Parent Company car. If Coddled Son is not ready, natural consequences follow — walk the one mile to offsite center or if this causes such a hardship that Coddled Son misses all-day conference, then all assets of Coddled Son are put into Parent Company conservatership and reallocated when Coddled Son personal stock rises. This is an effective strategy for Brand Growth of Coddled Boy. He now wakes up at 6:30, showers and cocoons in still warm blanket on couch until company car departs. Sister Subsidiary reminds to take lunch money and removal of new tags still hanging on Coddled clothing. He is also CEO of Mommy-rubs-my-tummy-to-make-it-all-better company, but this is off-shore with hidden assets. Ann, this made me laugh so hard, love the T-shirt. Coddled needs one that says, “It was an accident”

75. Julie says:

76. Pingback: Coddled, Inc. Goes Armenian « The Marcom Maven

77. Vicky H says:

Amazing article Ann. I’m laughing so hard…

78. Vicky H says:

Amazing article Ann. I’m laughing so hard…

79. Gary Cohen says:

I recognize and see early signs of this insurrection beginning coddled sons/easy sisters startup. As the VC, it may impact the second round funding criteria.

Hilarious.
    Gary

80. Gary Cohen says:

Hilarious.
    Gary

81. *CRYING. LAUGHING SO HARD* Ann this is so right on that it’s scary. My favorite part of the post was the “PS”. I have a 14 year old girl. Must tweet this, stumble it as it’s a must read. Thanks for making me laugh today as I needed it:)

82. *CRYING. LAUGHING SO HARD* Ann this is so right on that it’s scary. My favorite part of the post was the “PS”. I have a 14 year old girl. Must tweet this, stumble it as it’s a must read. Thanks for making me laugh today as I needed it:)

83. Linda S says:

Oh, my gosh! Great post. You hit the nail on the head with this one!

84. Linda S says:

Oh, my gosh! Great post. You hit the nail on the head with this one!

85. Gavin Heaton says:

Chapter 11 is looking better all the time ;)

There is so much to look forward to!

86. Gavin Heaton says:

Chapter 11 is looking better all the time ;)

There is so much to look forward to!

87. I have two LLC’s in my home. One female LLC (14 years in the making) and one male LLC (16 years in the making). I must say the male LLC runs much more smoothly. The female LLC is a much more volatile.
    GREAT Post!

88. I have two LLC’s in my home. One female LLC (14 years in the making) and one male LLC (16 years in the making). I must say the male LLC runs much more smoothly. The female LLC is a much more volatile.
    GREAT Post!

89. Maura Welch says:

Ann, I have not had that hardy of a laugh over a blog post in a long time. A masterpiece! Being the mom of two teen boy LLCs myself, I personally can attest to the truth of each and every syllable.

90. Maura Welch says:

91. Pingback: This Mommy Gig » Blog Archive » Lightening Up on Childhood: Are Parents Too Competitive?

92. Michelle says:

This is my first visit to your blog…and so not my last!
    I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time. My own Entitled Teen Boy LLC must be having meetings with your CEO! They sound like they are being run on the same business and marketing plan!
    Best wishes,
    Michelle

93. Michelle says:

This is my first visit to your blog…and so not my last!
    Best wishes,
    Michelle

94. Marti Hitchings says:

Too funny! You are a scream, Ann!

95. Marti Hitchings says:

Too funny! You are a scream, Ann!

96. Pingback: Survival Tips for Parenting Teens and Tweens: The Emergency Liquor Store Run

97. Just tell me you will be there to buy me martinis and console me when I feel like committing murder!

98. Pingback: Welcome to the Twilight Zone